Sunday, January 1, 2012

I'm the Author of Great Vegan Food!

While this post seems to not fit with the rest of the theme of the blog, let me assure you, it most certainly does.

One of my New Year's Resolutions for this year is to eat vegan for the whole day three days a week in the New Year. This means several things for me: a gradual release from my dearly beloved Half and Half in my coffee, and a concerted effort to learn how to cook vegan.

This is not a new thought for me, but this Christmas I acted on it and requested vegan cookbooks that were easy to follow and had food that was "mainstream." My brother and his fiance came through with two great cookbooks.

Tonight, I made my first vegan meal from Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.


After Mark and I perused the book, we settled on Tempeh Shepherdess Pie. The recipe seemed easy enough but incorporated new flavors and new ingredients.


So, we made a list and headed out to Whole Foods.

Our new ingredient of the day? Grapeseed Oil. Who knew? From the looks of it, it is from green grapes. I just had no idea that they had it let alone, for sale.

After our run, we set to work.

The recipe took a little bit to follow but was very clear and had concise times for everything which I really appreciated. It was my first time cooking with tempeh and I found it all very easy to do.


I love the consistency of tempeh in my food so I was so excited to work with it and see how it was cooked. Above it's in the pan, simmering with some tamari sauce and water.

Once most of the water evaporated it was poured in the collander, where it waited until the mushrooms and onions were sauteed. Then it went back in the pan with the awesome smelling onions and garlic, where it simmered for a while as spices and other ingredients were added.

As I worked on the tempeh mix, Mark mashed the baby Yukon gold potatoes, adding in soy milk, grapeseed oil, and some salt and pepper.

Finally, the two parts were ready to meet...

Into the casserole dish it went...first the tempeh mix...

And then topped with the layer of mashed potatoes....

It only required 20 minutes in the oven and an additional four under the broiler to get the crunch, crispy potato top.

Served and voila! I've made an awesome vegan dinner! It was delicious! Already looking forward to my vegan cooking next adventure!!!

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to a year of new food and resolutions!

1 comment:

  1. Such a tasty dinner! A perfect meal for New Year's Day. Has all the heartiness you want on a winter day plus the bonus of Tempeh. Can't wait to try more things from this cookbook.

    ReplyDelete